ICA believes that training and education can make a significant difference to employee owned companies & social enterprises. Effective and meaningful programs can profoundly improve productivity, corporate performance, and employee satisfaction. Our staff of trained consultants design programs to meet your firm’s specific needs and to make the benefits of ownership & mission focus both tangible and enduring.
A critical element of education and training are resources democratic firms can use to help their business succeed. ICA’s resource library is the best place to look for materials to help your co-op or social enterprise succeed. The materials ICA has developed have been time tested and refined, continually reflecting the latest thinking on key topics.
- Business Valuation BasicsDetermining the value of a closely held company is a difficult and imprecise science. This publication walks you through the basics of how a firm’s value is determined and provides a checklist of what information is necessary to complete the process.
- Democratic GovernanceWorker co-ops are built on a framework of democracy, but without an effective means to put this into place, it does worker very little good. This how-to guide walks you through establishing an effective mechanism to ensure you are creating a democratic culture that works with your business. (36 pages)
- Democratic Governance: An OverviewWorker co-ops are built on a framework of democracy, but without an effective means to put this into place, it does worker very little good. This how-to guide walks you through establishing an effective mechanism to ensure you are creating a democratic culture that works with your business. This brochure walks you through the basics […]
- Employee Ownership MatrixThis publication provides a basic overview of the key differences between worker cooperatives, ESOPs, and hybrid models. It walks through the details of the various forms to help business owners weigh the financial and tax impact of a sale. (3 pages)
- Ensuring Your LegacyEnsuring Your Legacy: Succession Planning & Democratic Employee Ownership. Many business owners look to employee ownership as a way to cement their legacy, yet the process can be confusing and perceived as risky. This report walks owners through the process of converting to a democratic firm helps owners address whether this is the right thing […]
- Grievance PolicyTo protect the rights of member and employees, a process to address grievances is necessary. This sample policy provides a basic background on the rationale for having a clear grievance policy, provides a sample Grievance Policy to base your own firm’s policy on, and a sample grievance form.
- Internal Capital AccountsValue in a worker co-ops is tracked using a system of internal capital accounts. This report covers the details of how co-op finances work, including the difference between capital shares and capital accounts, tax treatment for worker co-ops and how to deal with financial losses. (41 Pages)
- Intro to By-LawsThe Framework for Democratic Control: An Introduction to Articles of Incorporation & By-Laws for Democratic Firms This introductory guide is a must read for anyone looking to start a worker co-op, or for an existing firm that isn’t sure if it’s got the ‘right’ by-laws. All corporations operate according to their governing documents, the articles […]
- Key Accounting TermsKey Accounting Terms & Financial Ratios A glossary of the most common accounting terms, including terms specific to worker cooperatives and other democratic corporations. The guide also walks through how to perform the most common financial ratios and ways that worker owners can use them to measure and improve their company’s performance.